Tuesday 7 June 2016

They Killed It... Allah... Maar Daala


I love actors and have been fortunate to have worked with some of them.  What amazes me always is how they not only understand the scene but also grasp the sub-text and get under the skin of the character within minutes. I remember watching them emote and thinking - OMG, that's exactly how I had visualised this particular scene.

So how do they do that? How are these actors able to get the scene spot on? By giving it their damnedest. And more. As IMTIAZ ALI has rightly said - "It is not the time and effort that the actors give. They give it their heart."

So can you guys think of a scene where the actor killed it with a single look? Yupp, you got that right. A SINGLE look.

I closed my eyes to think of one and the following scenes flashed across my mind instantly:

1. SACHIN PILGAONKAR:

He was one of the most adorable child stars. He has done some fantastic movies over the years, each very different from the other. I have loved all the roles he has portrayed, my favourites being in Ankhiyon ke Jharoke Se, Nadiya ke Paar, Balika Vadhu, Satte pe Satta and Aisi Bhi Kya Jaldi Hai.

But there's this one scene in Ankhiyon ke Jharoke Se, that will remain implanted in my memory forever. It is the scene where Arun (Sachin) and his friends challenge Lily Fernandes (Ranjita), to represent the girls in a Hindi poetry competition. The moment Lily starts singing Bade Badhai Na Kare, the way Arun's expression shifts from one of over confidence to shock, to "wow, I'm impressed," to well and truly smitten, within a matter of seconds is commendable. Hats off to one of the most lovable actors of Bollywood.


2. SONU NIGAM:

Okay, this one is not reel but real. But I had to include it. For the simple reason that ever since I saw this video, I cannot get the look on Sonu's face, out of my head. The expression on his face when his son Neevan is singing, cannot be put into words. You have to watch the video to feel it. It is not just the mixture of immense happiness, pride and "I love you so much, I could squish you like a tube of toothpaste," but the intensity of his love, so evident from his face that leaves you staggered. And overwhelmed.


3. KUNAL KARAN KAPOOR:

Several scenes come to mind when I think of Mohan Bhatnagar. How can one choose a single scene for this man? After much deliberating, I decide to go for the cutest hug ever seen on Indian television. It is the scene right after the 'kis haq se' scene, when Mohan comes back to Junna Mohalla. He ruffles his hair self-consciously, then looks at Megha, pouts - "yeah yeah, I know I said I'm not coming back, but how could I leave without my heart?" Just a single look that says it all. And Hansa kow-tows to the undisputed king of expressions.


4. APURVA AGNIHOTRI:

Armaan Sir. Sigh!!! Wherefore art thou Armaan Sir? It's been twelve years since Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin was first aired, yet I can still recall this particular scene with absolute clarity. It was the scene when our Sheru is busy clobbering Nandu and Jassi slaps him. The look of incredulity on Armaan's face when Jassi slaps him - inimitable, unparalleled, priceless. Apurva and only Apurva could have nailed it with a single look. What more can I say other than - Jai Sir Armaan!

watch from 10:00

5. OSMAN KHALID BUTT:

I loved his acting in Aunn Zara. But it was as Wali in Diyar-e-Dil that he knocked my socks off. Totally. Charon khaane chit kar diya bandhe ne Hansa ko.

I have watched this scene from Diyar-e-Dil a million times. It's the one where Farah mistakes Wali's room for Agha Jaan's room and sleeps in his bed. The soft warm glow of the candlelight, the even softer ta na na of the background music and the way Wali's shocked expression gradually gives way to a slow smile filled with tender love is so exquisite, it makes your heart go mmm... One of the most romantic scenes ever. Allah... Osman ki mind-blowing acting ne... maar daala.


Mark my words, after Ali Zafar and Fawad Khan, this guy is going to be the next big import from Pakistan to Bollywood.  Osman Khalid Butt... aaahhh!!!

That's all for now folks. Khuda hafiz, Rab rakha, hasta la vista. Don't forget to share your favourite 'killer look' in the comments below. Can be any actor, not just the ones I've mentioned. And a big thank you to Mamta Kumari for uploading the scene from NBT.


Keep smiling friends. Keep ROFLing. Life is Beautiful :)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I really do not much about the others, but Kunal Karan Kapoor... an actor who left me speechless in one scene. Where else have I found heart breaking expression that is deeply rooted into my heart within second if Kunal's magical performance. Hats off to him. And thank you Hansa.

Hansa said...

You are right Helen. He is too good :)

Anjali said...

Well, for me the killer look is the one Armaan sir gives Jessica in the courtroom as she slowly, bit by bit, reveals every single romantic thing Armaan had said to his Jassi. As realisation seeps into him that Jessica IS his Jassi, his look changes from incredulity to wonder to "I can devour you with my eyes right now" love. Beautiful write-up, as always, didi.

Hansa said...

Oh yes, how could I forget - that scene was absolutely brilliant and oh so romantic as well. Come to think of it, there are so many scenes in JJKN... Armaan's confession outside Octaviour/ Octavia (can never remember which spelling is correct) for example, that it's difficult to pick a single scene. Thanks Anjali :)

Belicia said...

Just simply luv wht u wrote Abt Kunal n Sachin and abt Kunal there's no words in which I cn explain .. n if I talk abt hugs Well I simply love the way he hugs the kids be it Nanhi n Jaan cutest hugs be that , the way puts he hand behind the head covering the full head

Hansa said...

Thanks Belicia. And I agree. The way he puts his chin on their head and sways from side to side while hugging them is adorable :)

Unknown said...

Well dii.. its another mind blowing one from U :)
Starting from Sachin Sir.. well, I hadnt watched much of his movies,apart from Nadiya K Paar..he was superbly excellent in that :)
Wat a nice song debate sequence.. beautiful & his expressions r fabulous too!! AKJSe songs r one of my most favorites & I will surely watch d movie whenever it comes on TV next or either download it ;)
Next.. Kunal K Kapoor aka Mohan Bhatnagar..jitna v kaha jaye km hi hoga..there r so many scenes in NBT where he left us speechless with his saying eyes & times when he made us smile making special gestures..MB will always have a special in d heart of his fans :)
I used to watch JJKN when Jassi came back to India after going through plastic surgery & I didnt remember anything much about it.. but U have truly said about Apurva Agnihotri.. I loved watching him in ADHYeh on Life Ok.. he really, undoubtedly is a very talented actor!!
Sonu Sir.. his soulful voice always touches d heart.. & Naveen,his voice was so cute in this!! Sonu Sir's expressions depict how proud he is feeling for his son, totally incredible dii.. (Y)

Hansa said...

Thanks a lot Poonam for the lovely long comment. I agree with everything you have written :)

Ankita said...

Beuatiful written...u r d sketch writer

Hansa said...

Thanks Ankita :)

Post a Comment