Tuesday 1 September 2015

Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin... 12 Years on


Twelve years ago, I discovered the fascinating world of India Forums.

Twelve years ago,  I was introduced to the joys of online friendships.

And twelve years ago, a girl in a blue salwaar with humungous braces and holding a pink umbrella, grinned her way into my heart.

Yes, it's been exactly twelve years since JASSI JAISI KOI NAHIN went on air on the 1st of September 2003. But in spite of the years, have you been able to forget this show? I haven't and can say even today that JJKN jaisa koi nahin!

So here's my list of JJKN characters that remain even today, inimitable, fresh and unforgettable:

1. JASSI (played by Mona Singh) - She was warm, she was clumsy, she was a nerd. And how we loved her for those very reasons and connected with her instantly. Btw, a treat for Mona fans, coming up in October ;)




2. ARMAAN SIR (played by Apurva Agnihotri) - If Jassi's here, can Armaan Sir be far behind? Sigh!!! My first ever crush on a fictional character. O Rabba mere, agle janam mohe Armaan Sir ki Jassi hi kijo. But more about him in December ;)



3. RAJ (played by Parmeet Sethi) - What a fine actor he is. Whether it be a serious role as in Dastaan or Armaan's friend with a devil-may-care attitude, he plays it with aplomb. His one liners in JJKN were some of the best dialogues in the show.



4. NANDU (played by Gaurav Gera) - The most loveable geek ever. Yes, he was way cuter than Sheldon and Leonard, I have to admit. More on him, in a couple of weeks. So Gaurav fans, watch this space ;)




5. JASSI'S MUM (played by Surinder Kaur) - I loved her in Nadiya ke Paar and again in JJKN. She reminds me of my mom - soft, warm, huggable.



6. BILLOO PAPAJI (played by Veerendra Saxena) - more than his chemistry with wife and daughter, I loved his chemistry with Nandu.



7. BEBE (played by Uttara Baokar) - She was the grandmother I never had. I believe she's great fun in real life as well - still single and ready to mingle. So don't forget to party with her next time you're in Mumbai.



8. NANDU'S MUM - OMG! She was hilarious. Bossy, dominating Punjabi mom and I totally loved her.



9. MALLIKA (played by Rakshanda Khan) - The moment I think of Mallika, one word springs to mind - classy. She is one classy, stylish young lady. And even though she was the "other woman" in the show, I still couldn't help admire her.



10. PARI (played by Manini Mishra) - Ooo la la! The coquettish batting of long curling eyelashes, the sparkling smile, the sway of those hips - that was what Pari was all about and Manini played the role to the hilt.




11. MADDY (played by Rajesh Khera) - Famous for playing the Devil in the Onida TV ad prior to this, Rajesh blew us away as Maddy. His dialogue delivery, his mannerisms, his quirky walk were so spot on.



12. CHESTA (played by Monaz Mewawala) - How could I forget Nandu's sweet, bubbly, Guju girlfriend? And even though she was a tad matlabi, we loved  Monaz's cameo nonetheless.




Lastly, a big thumbs up for Tony and Deeya for this unique show, that touched the hearts of millions and remains even today, one of our favouritest shows ever.

Some good news for those who wish to watch the show again or missed it the first time around - SET Asia has uploaded most of the episodes - so check out their channel on YouTube. 

That's all folks. Do share your memories/ anecdotes/ links of this awesome show. Suggestions for future lists most welcome :)


Keep smiling. Keep ROFLing. Life is Beautiful :)





9 comments:

illusions said...

Simply marvellous... You took me back to 2003 again.. One show that became an integral part of my life, the one show that got me friends for life.. One show that spolied me so much that I cannot bring myself to love any other show as much as I loved this.. Three cheers to JJKN.. And to you Hansa ji..

mb said...

Aww jjkn revisited. Such beautiful memories. Truly jjkn was awesome and through which made many friends who have been together for long time. Keep going hansa would love to read more

Hansa said...

So true, Thanks dear :)

Hansa said...

Thanks a lot dear :)

V. Khawani said...

How can we forget it ? They had started showing it again on Sony Pal & without a fail I had started watching it again...After a few episodes they stopped it !
Moreover the amazing show introduced me to many new friends who have become very near & dear ones to me since !

Hansa said...

Awww. So true :) I don't know why they start showing a show and then stop it. Beats me :(

priya said...

I really missed jjkn, JandA and specially Armaan Suri

Hansa said...

Yeah Priya. Sigh!

Hansa said...

Hello again Priya. If you are the Priya from IF, please get in touch with me via email. Thanks a lot.

Post a Comment